Thursday, November 19, 2009

I have been reading up on different traditions and found this one on this blog!!




http://www.skiptomylou.org/2007/12/20/traditions/


Since our oldest son was a toddler we have had friends come over IN THEIR PAJAMAS to read Christmas stories. Our oldest son is now 15 and this has become one of our most loved holiday traditions.



So warm up some hot chocolate and invite some friends over and relax and enjoy some special family time.


A sweet little 4 year old said it was the best party she had ever been to. Now that is a pretty good endorsement when you have been to a "princess" party before!



There are no fancy clothes or fancy food and kids are definitely invited. At first the guests (especially the adults) might be shy about wearing their pajamas---but we insist.


We sit around reading Christmas stories, drinking hot chocolate, sometimes we do a craft(decorating gingerbread houses and making gift tags are a favorite), and we eat a few simple snacks. It is such a special way to spend a cozy and relaxing evening with friends.


We enjoy listening to our friends favorite Christmas books and as some of the children have gotten older they enjoy reading the stories also. I can't say enough about how special the evening is for us. It is a moment in this busy time of year to slow down and remember what the Season is about!
When we moved to Germany I met my dear friend Wendy who was also having these parties. Her sister Tara has written some wonderful invitations. I "borrow" these poems and then make a theme around the invite.




This is one of my favorite,




The Polar Express.
We would like for you to join us for
a Christmas tale
We'll gather for a story about a
little sleigh bell
We'll be in our pajamas so that's
how you should dress
All aboard headed north on the
Polar Express
Your time and date
Please bring your favorite Christmas
story to read!





Invitations can be made by layering holiday papers and adding a jingle bell at the top


The best thing is we can always elaborate on the theme and change it up. Next time I use this I want to make jingle bell wreaths. Family Fun has cute jingle bell bracelets to make. The possibilities are endless. Party favors would be cute sent home in a bag clipped with this jingle bell clip.
So warm up some hot chocolate and invite some friends over and relax and enjoy some special family time. A sweet little 4 year old said it was the best party she had ever been to. Now that is a pretty good endorsement when you have been to a "princess" party before!









I THINK THIS WOULD BE SO MUCH FUN TO DO!





We will be heading off next weekend to do one of my family traditions----- Cutting down our own Christmas Tree! I hope it snows more!!! We try to go sledding and we build a fire and cook hot gods and marsh mallows!!! Always so much more yummy in the mountains!! I can't wait!! SNOW! SNOW!



Another tradition for my family is the SANTA PARTY....



And as always I will be having our Santa Party!!! I love this! Santa has been coming to MY house since I was a girl!!



I remember that one year Santa got stuck and my dad had to help him get unstuck so that he could make it to other little kids house!!!



I love that now he come to MY KIDS' house!!!!



Every year he comes and brings each and every child a nice gift! (yes its always a book, but that is a wonderful gift!!



My family also does the Operation Christmas Child



here is a link to learn about this!



http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/index/



Ryan and I and my children started doing this with the

BFBC http://blackfootfbc.org/, last year we really enjoyed doing this with the kids!!



We pick 2 younger kids for this.



AND



we have be doing this since my children were little "little" have went to our local Christmas Tree Fantasy and join in on the Angel Tree and pick 2, one boy and one girl the same ages as my children. This way they know what kind of toy and clothing the child would like!!



I hope that my children keep this family tradition's

going on & on & on!



SO HOW ABOUT YOUR FAMILY TRADITION'S???



LET ME KNOW!!



Love to hear all the different family traditions!!



No comments: